1895 – 1899
November 25, 1895
The Instructive Visiting Nurse Association of Baltimore was organized by a small group of civic-minded citizens.
January 1, 1896
The first nurse was employed.
March 5, 1896
The Instructive Visiting Nurse Association of Baltimore City was Incorporated.
The Thomas Wilson Sanatorium contracted with the Instructive Visiting Nurse Association to “inspect” children being sent to the Sanatorium.
1900 – 1924
The Rayner Home on Madison Avenue was donated to the Instructive Visiting Nurse Association.
the Baltimore Fire caused The Fire Relief Committee to finance extra nurses and caretakers.
A typhoid fever epidemic broke out in the Woodbury section. The Instructive Visiting Nurse Association took care of fifty cases in a ten-week period.
The Children’s Convalescent Infirmary was placed under the supervision of the Instructive Visiting Nurse Association
The Metropolitan Life Insurance Company signed a contract to provide services to their policyholders.
The Ellicott Machine Corporation and Western Union Telegraph Company contracted with the Instructive Visiting Nurse Association.
The Instructive Visiting Nurse Association was the headquarters for receiving all referrals during the “Flu” epidemic.
1925 – 1949
The Headquarters were moved from the Rayner home to 1601 Bolton Street.
Once every six minutes in the day some home in Baltimore was visited by an IVNA Nurse.
An affiliation for the student nurses of Johns Hopkins Hospital was established.
1950’s – 1999
The Agency had grown from one nurse in 1896 to forty-two in 1955. Service to acutely ill patients decreased to 6% of caseload as compared to 55% prior to 1935; chronically ill patients comprised 40% of caseload.
A Home Care Program was developed in conjunction with the Maryland Heart Association and the University Hospital to determine the advantages of total health services to cardiac patients in their homes.
The office moved to 5 East Read Street.
March of 1963
Home Health Aides were employed.
The Instructive Visiting Nurse Association was accredited by Social Security and the National League as a Home Health Agency and a Community Nursing Organization.
Ben Franklin Stores and Aetna Life Insurance contracted services for sick employees.
The Agency was granted full accreditation by the National League for Nursing.
A contract was signed with Blue Cross Blue Shield to provide services to policyholders under the age of 65.
The Board of Directors voted to change the name of Instructive Visiting Nurse Association to the Visiting Nurse Association of Baltimore (VNA).
The VNA offered seven services for in-home health care: Nursing, Physical Therapy, Home Health Aides, Social Work, Nutrition, Speech and Occupational Therapy.
An Extended Service Unit was inaugurated offering home services until 9 p.m. and on-call services through the night.
VNA cared for its first HIV/AIDS patient and developed a specialized home program.
VNA restructured the organization to meet the community needs.
The VNA realized that the competition was affecting its long-term viability. The VNA was acquired by two health care providers and some large hospital organizations. The name was changed to The Visiting Nurse Association of Maryland.
VNA was awarded Joint Commission Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO).
VNA celebrated its 100th year anniversary.
2000 – 2003
The clinical structure of the VNA was redesigned in 2000 into geographic districts to support improved clinical operations.
October 1, 2000
Medicare home care reimbursement converted from a cost-based system to a prospective payment system.
Accreditation Commission for Health Care, Inc. (ACHC) awarded VNA accreditation for home Care, the first in Maryland.
December 2003 to Present
The VNA was sold to a private group with decades of managerial and financial experience in the health care field. The VNA of Maryland began the process of infusing state of the art technology and staff education and successfully increased efficiencies. These modifications improved patient satisfaction and outcomes.
As the years have passed, continued programming and enhancements to patient care have positioned the VNA of Maryland as the largest privately owned home care agency in Maryland. The leadership of the VNA has invested in staff education and resources to be able to meet the challenges presented by the changing health environment. While expanding the geographic coverage of the agency, technology allows for constant communication with patients, referral sources, field and office staff.
Our localized status allows us to work closely with our partners in health care and community leadership to respond quickly to the changing needs and requirements of those we serve.